Orijen i'm feeding

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
mandog
Orijen i'm feeding

Post by mandog » November 4th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Just thought i'd share with the group.

I'm feeding my 2 pups on orijen and as some people are aware its hard to keep weight on your dog while feeding this particular brand. Well this goes for the 2 pups also.

So i had one juck up something he should not had swallowed the other day and also saw the the orijen he ate 3 hours ago, still in one peice. Well this got me thinking that they are not getting the energy they need when they need it. They are cutting into there fat reserves which inturn is what is making there ribs stick out.

So i've ended up putting 2 of there meals into a liquidiser to turn to powder. this has put aloot of condition and weight and fat on the dogs in a very short time.
I also noticed the poos are alott more runny making me believe they are extracting alot from the food and it not just getting tightly compacted in there intestines.

Diamond Kartel

Re: Orijen i'm feeding

Post by Diamond Kartel » November 5th, 2010, 9:51 am

Hey Sweetie this is just a suggestion but have you tried BARF Bones and Raw Food diet?? Have a look at this website about Manufactured food and give it a try. Theres loads of information on this website and a lot of the Agility owners do give their dogs BARF. I give mine raw chicken wings, lamb neck bones, mince, and free flowing tripe, also cook meats.
For me personally I find it cheaper than manfactured stuff. also read Ali's post about feeding raw theres alot of advice from others on the forum.

http://healthydogforlife.com/blog/2009/ ... %E2%80%A6/

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=645

Atb best mate let us all know how you get on

Rose
BullBreedForum
(The most fun you can have on the net)

mandog

Post by mandog » November 5th, 2010, 11:07 am

I fed a complete raw diet for 5 years and still do feed what i kill myself. I found the orijen a bit better and much simpler than having to thaw out raw meat in the winter and i can't have it hanging in the kitchen.

LeighandApple

Post by LeighandApple » November 5th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I've just changed from feeding raw to a kibble called Barking Heads and have found it great. I haven't had to wean them onto it (including my new pup), their muscle mass/tone is much better and they hold their weight a lot better. Their stool is a lot harder than any other kibble I've used in the past (which aids in cleaning out the anal sacks when going to the toilet). The qualitie's so good that you don't have to feed as much either.

I also soak the food in warm water before feeding (waiting until it soaked up all of the water) which helps prevent bloating, exessive drinking and helps the kibble to be digested quicker.

if you were looking for a new kibble then I can't recommend this more.

Leigh