injuries

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
ShellyD
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied
injuries

Post by ShellyD » September 30th, 2010, 11:16 pm

can any1 help me with any suggestions about helping injuries my winni broke her back leg about 7 months ago but still gets really stiff after an hours walk any comments would be really helpfull thanks guys xx

mayhem
Donator
Donator

Re: injuries

Post by mayhem » October 1st, 2010, 7:07 am

try giving her shorter more frequent walks rub her down after each walk and give her raw hearts in her diet it contains creatine wich helps feed the muscle and promotes recovery how often do u walk her now ?? wot kind of walk on roads /rough terrain i think if the hour walk makes her stiff try 3/4 walks a day of 30 mins for a week or so and see if the stiffness goes then increase to 45 mins see how she goes then if alls well increase again if shes only going 1ce a day for an hour then just chilling it wont give her much chance to move the leg do u warm her up/down befor/after letting her run around this could be a problem too if u take her straight to the field an let her run and take her straight back in try walk her for 10 mins then let her run around for 30 mins and walk her for 10 lets the muscle warm up and cool down befor resting always rub her down after u may as well give her the full rub down get u used to it for when shes back to normal just give that leg some extra attention u can get muscle rubs for them too ill find u the link atb mikey

ShellyD
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by ShellyD » October 1st, 2010, 1:04 pm

you've walked it wiv me wen u was ere its a stedy walk i bought heat packs for afters and u rub her down but then she crashes out thats wen she gets really stiff i dnt really have anywhere els to walk her joghn found me a hydro clinic thats only up the road from me gonna have a run up there next week see if they can help

jd's Bullies
Donator
Donator

Post by jd's Bullies » October 1st, 2010, 4:36 pm

If you've got stiffness, then should should finish the rub down with cool compress-heat is fine-but induces swelling-7months is still not very long to heal-and maybe a better regime of increasing stamina would be better-water is great if your dog is not phobic-as it allows exersise without weight.
Hope that helps.

Smokemont Staffords

Post by Smokemont Staffords » October 1st, 2010, 6:28 pm

Have you tried hydrotherapy? I would also recommend massage (by a professional). You would need to discuss with your vet first before either of those.
Fish oils in the diet may help also.

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » October 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm

Hey my friend ... the Hydrotheropy treatment is very expencive .... try takin her swimming... in the local lake .. or pond ... it really does work wonders ....................jj